A Big Business With Plus-Sized Profits
It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise to learn that the weight loss market is booming, as a matter of fact raking-in $64 billion in 2014 alone. From fad diets to workout infomercials and online trainers, people everywhere are willing to spend a fortune just for a chance to get thin.
Fat-burning pills are a big part of the industry, designed to boost metabolism, maximize exercise, and minimize food cravings – and while some work, many do not. The selection of available options can be overwhelming, for sure, but choosing the best fat burner for men should depend on knowing what each individual weight loss supplement does, as well as the changes your body needs for success.
Choosing the Right Product
So, as a guy trying to wade through a multitude of weight loss supplements, how do you determine which is the best?
When comparing products, you’ll probably notice that the most popular ones contain a combination of two or more proven weight loss ingredients, which generally makes them much more effective. I’ll cover more in-depth information concerning fat burning supplements for men, including ingredients used and how they work, a little later in this review.
In the meantime, I’ve assembled a list of what I have found to be the most effective weight loss supplements for men to lose unwanted pounds without wasting their hard-earned money.
Best Fat Burners for Men
Weight Loss for Men vs. Women
While neither gender is naturally healthier than the other, it’s no secret that men and women are biologically quite different (and not just in the obvious ways!). Women, for example, generally maintain a higher body fat percentage due to the role of estrogen, while testosterone keeps men trimmer.
When it comes to weight loss, guys have generally have the advantage, since men and women generally burn fat at different rates due to physiological differences. Because men are larger than women by nature, and (thanks to the role of testosterone in muscle development) have an easier time staying fit.
Because muscle consumes more calories than fat, even at rest, and since guys typically possess a greater muscle-to-fat ratio than women, men naturally build muscle more easily and burn more calories when compared to their female counterparts. On average, men have a faster metabolism by 5% to 10%.
Men also tend to gain muscle with less effort than gals due to the natural production of certain androgens (hormones like testosterone). So generally speaking, virtually any fat burner that works for women will be at least as effective for men.
Not only that, differences in weight loss (and overall health) can be partially social and cultural. Women, for example, typically care more about nutrition and dietary choices than men do, but are also more likely to be attracted to carbs.
Men, on the other hand, statistically prefer meat.
Obviously, this isn’t a hard-fast rule, but these observations from registered dietitians point out that these preferences can influence the ways in which men and women approach weight loss.
Due to the fact that meat is less likely to pack on the pounds than carbs, plus the differences in metabolism, a man who changes his diet and starts cutting calories will likely see better results than a woman who does the same. For guys, this can be very motivating, keeping them focused on gym performance for a longer period of time.
How Your Age Affects Weight Loss
The older you get, the harder weight can be to control. Even a fast metabolism in your youth means nothing as middle age sets in, leading to easier weight gain and harder weight loss.
Exercises that used to work wonders now have little impact at all, while favorite high-calorie foods pack on the pounds like never before. As a man, this can be particularly frustrating.
The well-muscled physique that was such a point of pride in your youth is now long gone, and you may find yourself wondering, “Will I ever get it back?” For men, one of the main causes for this increased difficulty in maintaining fitness with age is due to declining levels of testosterone.
This single issue can sap your energy, motivation, metabolism, and sex drive. More on the topic of testosterone will be covered in the next section.
Why Should Men Even Take a Fat Burner?
So, if weight loss is so much easier for men than women, why is a supplement necessary? Well there’s no one right answer here – after all, no two men are exactly the same – but there are several reasons why this may be the case.
First, men lose weight easier than women do, but this doesn’t mean that the process won’t take effort. Men with naturally slower metabolisms, men who are overweight and struggle to keep up with fitness, and older men with declining testosterone levels may not be able to build muscle at the same rates they did in their youth.
There’s also genetic factors that can come into play that predetermine the body’s efficiency at fat storage. Lifestyle can also influence this, for example the amount and quality of food that a person consumes.
Some health and fitness purists would argue that taking these types of supplements basically amounts to a quick fix, but the fact is that people vary when it comes to how their bodies store fat. Some guys naturally have little-to-no problem burning fat, or can’t even gain weight in the first place, while others just can’t seem to shed the extra pounds no matter what they do.
No matter the reason, if you’re not seeing weight loss results, giving up isn’t the right solution. Instead of just assuming you’ll never see any progress, taking a fat burner can help overcome some of these barriers and successfully diminish the process of fat storage.
There’s a lot of ways that fat burners can work to help men drop the extra pounds.
Here’s the three most common areas that these supplements target.
It’s been said that successful weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I’m not sure if I totally agree, but diet is often the most challenging aspect for those seeking quick results.
A fat burner for men can definitely help here, by suppressing your appetite to keep you from pigging-out on high-calorie snacks.
Energy loss is a major problem for a lot of guys trying to get back on the fat-loss horse. After a long day at work, finding the energy to get to the gym can seem like a major struggle, even if you’re just working a desk job.
A lack of energy can impact performance at the gym as well – without plenty of motivation, odds are that your workout will suffer. A boost in energy can fix this.
Although not always a component in fat burnerss, any kind of pickup in your metabolism can also play a role in dieting, making it easier to lose weight no matter what you eat.
Testosterone plays a huge role in both muscle-building and weight loss for men, and low T may make it almost impossible to see results. Many fat burners for men specifically target testosterone.
These products boost the body’s own testosterone production to see bigger gains, better workouts, and faster weight loss. If you’re trying to lose weight but also show signs of having weak testosterone levels or andropause, taking these types of fat burners can really help.
Types of Fat Loss Supplements
Due to the many ways in which human bodies differ, the best a one-size-fits-all supplement. Instead, these weight loss supplements come in a few different styles, guaranteeing a good fit for just about everyone.
If your first try isn’t quite right, keep testing the market of available products to find the best match for your body type.
Most fat burners can be generally classified in the following categories:
- Thermogenic Fat Burners – This is one of the most common types of weight loss supplements, and one of the best fat burners for men. They work because they increase body temperature by boosting the metabolism. This in turn helps burn fat and sometimes decreases the appetite. While many stimulants are also thermogenics, not all thermogenics are necessarily stimulants. Green coffee bean extract, capsaicin (derived from hot peppers), and green tea extract are examples of thermogenic ingredients. By using a combination of natural and chemical ingredients to increase energy and boost metabolism, it’s possible to see speedy results from your weight loss.
- Stimulants – Stimulants are a class of ingredients that increase the activity of the sympathetic nervous system. Some common examples include caffeine and ephedra.
- Appetite Suppressants – If you’re getting plenty of exercise but find it hard to control your diet, an appetite suppressant may be the best way to keep your eating habits under control. This type of supplement helps reduce cravings and the feeling of being hungry. The result is eating less and forcing the body to burn fat as an energy substitute. By using ingredients known to curb the appetite, it’s possible to see increased results from exercise by keeping your calorie intake at appropriate levels. Hoodia Gordonii and Garcinia Cambosia are some commonly used for their appetite suppressant qualities.
- Carb Blockers – Carbs are a necessary part of a healthy diet – in fact, much of the energy used in your day comes from carbohydrates – but an increased intake can mean more fat. Carb blockers utilize enzymes to inhibit the digestion of carbohydrates, keeping the body from absorbing the effects of carbs and instead rendering them largely harmless.
- Lipotropics – These are compounds that help break down fat during the body’s metabolic process. Methionine, choline, inositol, and betain are all examples of lipotropic ingredients.
- Hormone Boosters – Androgens like testosterone play a huge role in fat metabolism for men. Low T levels can make it hard to lose weight and build muscle, making all the exercise in the world almost pointless. Testosterone boosters are natural supplements designed to optimize testosterone, HGH, and other hormone levels. They also encourage a lower percentage of body fat and increased muscle mass. Many of these supplements will contain ingredients like tribulus terrestris, maca root, and Tongkat Ali.
- Cortisol Blockers – Feeling stressed out? That may be screwing up your weight loss results. Cortisol (a hormone produced in times of high stress) can actually encourage the buildup of fat, particularly in the stomach region. Cortisol blockers reverse this effect, reducing the impacts of anxiety and corresponding weight gain.
Weight loss seems to be a dominating factor throughout life. This can range from teenagers trying out for sports to older adults wanting to maintain good health. Men more than ever are looking for quick ways to slim down, and using a good fat burning supplement is one of the best shortcuts you can take.
When you want to lose weight and see real results, using a fat burner for men may be the best opportunity to do so. Not only do they boost your metabolism, they can force your body to burn more fat for energy.
What’s more, using the products listed here can get you slimmed down even quicker by giving you the strength to push harder when you work out. Since many of these weight loss supplements contain energy-boosting ingredients, they’re ideal when used as pre-workout fat burners for bodybuilding, cycling, running, etc.
In effect, this doubles the benefit. That said, it’s important to keep in mind that once you’ve achieved your desired weight you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
If not, you risk gaining back all the pounds you lost.
Including more fat burning foods into your diet and working out on a regular basis (especially with cardio/aerobic exercise) will naturally help you to keep the calories burning and the extra weight from creeping back.
And even though fat loss is a common goal for men for different reasons, and can be accomplished directly through hard work and determination, there are a lot of guys who are looking for any type of shortcut to make the process as quick and easy as possible.
Fat burning supplements provide exactly that for those looking for this type of solution. While there’s no true way to make weight loss easy, a specially-designed product intended to target a man’s physiology for the best possible results is the next best thing.
Just ask yourself this: why live with excess weight when you don’t have to?